(HealthDay News) -- Regular dental checkups and proper daily hygiene are important during pregnancy.
The American Dental Association (ADA) offers these suggestions for pregnant women:
- Use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth at least twice daily. Floss teeth at least once daily, as well.
- Eat healthy, nutritious foods and keep snacking on sugary or fatty foods to a minimum.
- Get regular dental checkups.
- Talk to your dentist about using an antimicrobial mouth rinse.
- Discuss any problems with your dentist, such as gums that bleed, swell or become red.
- If you have morning sickness, rinse your mouth with a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda and water. Avoid brushing just after vomiting to prevent contact of more stomach acids with the teeth.
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.