Preventing Complications with Diabetes
If you know you have diabetes, it is important to take good care of yourself.
Checklist for preventing complications with Diabetes:
The American Diabetes Association recommends the following steps for proper care:
- Have a hemoglobin A1C test every three to six months.
- Have blood pressure checked at every doctor's visit.
- Have cholesterol checked at least once a year.
- Check for kidney disease by measuring the protein in the urine at least once a year.
- Have your feet checked at every doctor's visit.
- Visit your eye doctor for an eye exam once a year.
- Stop smoking.
- Work with your health care team to learn about diet, glucose monitoring and medications.
It has been found that when people learn how to control their blood sugar in a safe range, they do much better with the disease.
For help maintaining your diabetes, call the Education Department at Finger Lakes Health, (315) 787-4601.