Finger Lakes Health College of Nursing, in partnership with Geneva General Hospital, offers a full time program that is flexible and conducive to the adult learner seeking a career as a surgical technologist. This academic program will lead to a certificate in surgical technology awarded by Finger Lakes Health College of Nursing after completing 11 months of rigorous training.
Students in the program attend classes and participate in clinical rotations which will give them an opportunity to apply knowledge and skills obtained in the classroom and clinical laboratory.
Surgical technologists typically do the following:
- Prepare operating rooms for surgery.
- Sterilize equipment and make sure that there are adequate supplies for surgery.
- Prepare patients for surgery, such as by washing and disinfecting incision sites.
- Help surgeons during surgery by passing them instruments and other sterile supplies.
- Count supplies such as sponges and instruments to maintain a sterile environment.
Surgical technologists work as members of a healthcare team alongside doctors, surgeons, and nurses. Employment of surgical technologists is projected to grow 30 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Surgical technologists wear scrubs (special sterile clothing) while they are in the operating room. Their work may be physically demanding, as they may be on their feet for long periods. Surgical technologists may also need to help move patients or lift heavy trays of medical supplies.
- 17 years of age or older
- High school graduate or high school equivalency diploma
*Successful completion of a General Biology course
- Satisfactory physical examination including required immunizations
$50 application fee
*Successful completion of a general Biology course within (7) years of application to the program with a final grade of "C" or above is required to apply to the program. The requirement is based on the principle that this will help a student to be better prepared to meet the demands of the program.
The surgical technology program offered through Finger Lakes Health College of Nursing has been approved by New York State Department of Education and is currently preparing to submit for national accreditation. Tuition and fees are just under $9000 for the entire program. Interested applicants can call 315-787-4005 or click here to apply online.